Thursday, May 27, 2010

DEATH... Memento Mori...


Something about DEATH!!!

It might be weird to talk about death, but it is a reality, which most ppl don't believe in..
I have taken excerpts from Mitch's ( Mitch Albom) and Khushwant's ( Khushwant Singh ) work that could summarize the whole thing..

Morrie says on one Tuesday: Everyone knows they're going to die, but nobody believes it...If we did, we would do things differently...

There is a better approach to it.. Do what the Buddhists do... Every day, have a little bird on your shoulder that asks, 'Is today the day? Am I ready? Am I doing all I need to do? Am I being the person I want to be?'

Then the words of wisdom comes: " Once you learn how to die, you learn how to live"...

This comes from the "On death and dying" part of Malicious gossips...

Yudhisthir was asked, " Of all the world's wonders, which is the most wonderful phenomenon?"

He replied: " No man, though he sees others dying all around him, believes that he himself will also die."

Death has got something to be said for it:

There's no need to get out of bed for it,
Wherever you my be,
They bring it to you, free.

One more set of lines that I liked a lot, which is written for "Yama"...

Alone of GODS, death has no love for gifts, Libation helps you not, nor sacrifice, He has no altar, and he hears no hymns, From him alone persuasion stands apart

When a highly spiritual lady pronounced in a tone of authority: " There is no death"...

Peter de Vries replied: " No, my dear lady, but there are funerals."

In the end all the contents were summed up in the motto:

Memento Mori- Remember you must die...

One of the shers that was written by Faiz Ahmed Faiz, just before his death goes like this:

Ajal ke haath koi aa raha hai parwaana... Na jaane aaj ke fehrist mein raqam kya hai ..

Death has some ordinance in its hand
I know not whose names are in its list today...

MEMENTO MORI...... :) :) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment